<< View SCS Blog
SCS Celebrates 50 Years of Innovation and Leadership
SCS is proud to announce the celebration of its 50th anniversary.
As the direct descendant of the companies that originally developed Parylene and made it a commercial success, SCS has established a legacy of innovation and leadership in the conformal coatings industry.
- In 1971, Nova Tran Corporation was established in Clear Lake, Wisconsin, after receiving one of the first licenses for Parylene coating from Union Carbide Corporation (UCC).
- In 1984, UCC acquired Nova Tran after they further commercialized Parylene across industries.
- In 1991, UCC combined several companies to form Specialty Coating Systems.
- In 2001, SCS combined two Indianapolis locations into the present corporate headquarters location. In addition, manufacturing of the Instruments product lines was moved from Alpharetta, Georgia, to Indianapolis a year later.
- In 2010, SCS opened its first mainland Europe coating center in the Czech Republic.
- In 2016, KISCO LTD. acquired Specialty Coating Systems. Both well-recognized brands in the Parylene industry, the merged Parylene organization operates globally as Specialty Coating Systems, a KISCO company.
- In March of 2021, SCS acquired Diamond MT, combining the companies’ Parylene and liquid coating services.
- In November, SCS announced the acquisition of Comelec SA, a Parylene and multilayer coating provider in Switzerland. With the addition of the Diamond MT and Comelec businesses, SCS now offers customers a full range of coating solutions.
Over the past 50 years, SCS has been a key innovator, developing products and technologies such as halogen-free ParyFree® conformal coating, Parylene HT® for applications that must survive harsh environments and the AdPro® family of adhesion technologies. SCS has served thousands of customers around the world, providing industry-leading coating services to the medical device, electronics, transportation, aerospace and defense industries.
“SCS has grown tremendously in the last 5 decades in terms of our global footprint and the products we offer our customers,” said Tim Bender, President and CEO. “This incredible milestone is a testament to our employees’ commitment to delivering high quality products and services to our global customers. Building upon this legacy of innovation and leadership, SCS’ management team is anticipating continued growth in the months and years ahead as we continue to focus on our core vision: To be the world’s trusted coatings partner by helping our customers innovate and be successful.”
Today, SCS operates 21 state-of-the-art coating facilities around the world, 9 in the Americas, 7 in Asia and 5 in Europe.
For more information about SCS, visit scscoatings.com.
Global Coverage Issue 90, Fall 2021