SCS Parylene Coatings
SCS Parylene Properties
Parylene is the generic name for members of a unique polymer series. The electrical, barrier, mechanical, thermal, optical, biocompatibility and other properties of SCS Parylenes N, C, D and Parylene HT® are discussed herein.
SCS Medical Coatings
Biocompatible and biostable, SCS Parylenes are ultra-thin and pinhole-free and provide an ideal surface modification for implantable medical devices such as coronary stents and pacemakers.
SCS Electronics Coatings
No matter the end use, electronic components must meet a complex and exacting set of specifications to ensure reliability and a trouble-free life. SCS Parylene coatings offer exceptional properties for electronic component protection.
SCS Transportation Coatings
Parylene conformal coatings provide protection that today’s competitive transportation market demands, enabling smaller, more reliable, longer-lasting electronic packages and components.
SCS Aerospace & Defense Coatings
From electronic devices within defense aircraft, missile and ground systems to components that must operate in the depths of space, SCS Parylene conformal coatings provide reliable protection to ensure long, trouble-free life.
SCS LED Coatings
To ensure long-performance life, LEDs must be protected to operate reliably amidst extreme conditions. Ultra-thin and optically-clear SCS Parylene conformal coatings provide the protection necessary to sustain longer life.
Parylene Coatings for Elastomeric Components
Seals, O-rings, gaskets, stoppers and plungers are just a few of the elastomeric components that benefit from the properties that Parylene coatings offer.
SCS Equipment Lines
PARYLENE DEPOSITION SYSTEMS AND RAW MATERIALS
SCS 2010 LABCOATER® 2
For Parylene laboratory research, applications development and testing, the SCS Labcoter® 2 Parylene Deposition System performs reliable and repeatable application of SCS Parylene conformal coatings.
SCS Parylene Dimers
SCS Parylene dimer, the chemical precursor in the Parylene deposition process, is a stable, white powder – and its quality is critical. SCS dimer is manufactured under cGMP guidelines exclusively for Specialty Coating Systems.
SPIN COATING SYSTEMS & ACCESSORIES
SCS G3 Spincoat and Multi-Dispense Systems
The SCS G3 Spin Coater series sets the standard in operating precision and programming flexibility, with a high level of rotation accuracy and repeatability, along with precise acceleration and deceleration control.
6800 Spin Coater Series
The SCS 6800 Spin Coater Series enables R&D and university laboratories to efficiently and accurately develop and refine coating applications.
DIP COATING SYSTEMS
SCS Dip Coating Systems
SCS Dip Coating Systems provide for the liquid coating of printed circuit boards in production or laboratory settings. The systems can apply urethane, epoxy, silicone and acrylic coatings as well as photoresists and solder mask materials.
SPRAY, DISPENSE, AND POTTING SYSTEMS
SCS PrecisionCoat V
The SCS PrecisionCoat V provides more than a dependable layer of protection, it’s a total system solution that ensures accuracy, repeatability and high throughput for a wide range of automated material applications.
SCS PrecisionCoat BT
The SCS PrecisionCoat BT provides accuracy, reliability and flexibility for companies looking to automate or expand their coating and dispensing capabilities.
SCS Precisioncure TC Thermal Cure System
The SCS Precisioncure TC offers manufacturers reliability and efficiency in a robust convection thermal cure system.
SCS Precision UVC
The SCS Precision UVC provides robust, reliable UV curing capabilities for any production line.
IONIC CONTAMINATION TEST SYSTEMS
SCS Ionograph® Series
The SCS Ionograph® series is designed for fast and accurate ionic contamination cleanliness testing. SCS offers a full range of capacity and control to meet the needs of any lab or manufacturer.
SCS Omegameter SMD 650
The SCS Omegameter SMD 650, the long-time industry standard for ionic testing utilizing “static test” methodology, is designed to perform cleanliness testing on printed circuits and assemblies.
PARYLENE – GENERAL
Solvent Resistance of the Parylenes
Study reviews the effects of a wide variety of organic solvents on Parylenes N, C and D.
Controlling Parylene Process Quality
This paper identifies and describes quality issues related to use of Parylene vacuum-deposited conformal coating in the protection of electronic components and assemblies.
PARYLENE – MEDICAL
Challenges with Prefilled Syringes
In this article, SCS concisely describes the applications and advantages of Parylenes, a series of inert polymeric coatings. In the prefilled syringes sector, Parylenes serve dual purposes being both a effective barrier material and highly lubricious coating.
Coating for Consumption
Ingestible medical devices offer a convenient, non-invasive method of delivering therapeutics, enabling diagnostics procedures, or performing imaging tasks. However, ensuring that the sensitive electronics within the device are protected is a challenge. This article will highlight a coating technology that is being used to guarantee such protection is provided.
Advances in Adhesion Solutions for Medical Applications
As electronic devices become ever smaller, their performance in many different types of operating environments has led many device packaging companies into the world of conformal coatings. Adhesion of such coatings to the intended substrate surfaces is one of the most important features of a coating’s effectiveness.
A Look at Parylene Coatings in Drug-Eluting Technologies
The continued success of drug-eluting stents relies heavily on little-known technologies. Parylene, for example, could have far-reaching applications.
The Truly Conformal Coating
The multi-property, biocompatible polymer Parylene has proved itself as having an unsurpassed role in medical coatings.
Parylene – Advanced Polymers for Medical Devices
While the demand for reliability and safety has always been at the forefront in medical device design, the challenges of minimally invasive and micro/nano devices require new and different packaging solutions.
New Development in Parylene Technology for Medical Electronics Advancement
Biostable packaging, protection and reliability of various medical electronic components and devices (e.g. retinal implants, implantable cardiac defibrillators, neurostimulators pulse generators, RFID implants, equipment, hearing aids, ingestible sensors/transmitters, and implantable radiation dosimeters) are becoming more challenging due to their long-term performance requirements.
PARYLENE – ELECTRONICS
Protecting Downhole and Platform Electronics
Oil companies must focus on cost savings to be profitable. A number of electronics used for the exploration, drilling, processing, and delivery of oil and gas operate in some of the harshest environments ever seen.
Protecting Modern Wafer-Level Packages
The demand for smaller sizes and lighter weights in consumer electronic devices is feeding the demand for continued package miniaturization.
Protection for Complicated SMD Assemblies
Most common conformal coatings actually can hurt, not protect, delicate and dense PCB assemblies. Parylenes are deposited differently, and offer EMS providers another option for electrical/dielectric, chemical and mechanical protection. Parylene HT proves promising for miniaturized assemblies.
Parylene as a Suppressant for Tin Whiskers Growth on Printed Circuit Boards
With the implementation of RoHS directives, pure tin plating is replacing lead in the tin-alloy used in the printed circuit boards and other worldwide electronics. Although use of tin provides a safer environment for electronic manufacturers and helps meet the regulatory requirements, it is known to form tin whiskers, odd shape eruption and dendrites that cause printed circuit boards or devices to fail.
PARYLENE APPLICATIONS – AUTOMOTIVE
Parylene Rises to the Challenge
Because the failure of one component could mean an entire system failure, OEMs rely on coatings such as Parylene – an inert, conformal, polymer coating – to protect electronics and other devices and prevent failures that add to warranty costs.
An Advanced Material for Enhancing Reliability and Protection of Automotive Electronics and Other Components
With the increasing trend for better and safer products, protection and reliability of various electronic components (pressure and temperature sensors, PCB’s, MEMS and fuel cell components, etc.) used in the automotive industry are critical as they are becoming smaller, more complex and provide life of vehicle performance in harsh environments.
PARYLENE APPLICATIONS – MILITARY/AEROSPACE
Parylene Coatings Can Protect COTS Electronics in Aerospace and Defense Applications
Financial considerations show that the use of COTS electronics for military applications will continue growing, so designers should protect them from heat, moisture, and radiation. The challenge is how to protect devices originally designed for non-military use without additional enclosures.
PARYLENE APPLICATIONS – FERRITES
Parylene Conformal Coating Benefits Coil Winding Processes
Small forms, spindles, ferrites and miniature wire-wound electric motor parts can benefit from the protection of a thin, vacuum-deposited coating.
CONFORMAL COATINGS – GENERAL
Advanced Coating Technologies for Lead-Free Solders
It has been shown that various conformal coating materials can help mitigate the damage done by tin whiskers. Coatings do not prevent the growth of whiskers, but studies have shown that some coatings do slow down or retard the formation.
Alternatives in Conformal Coating
Conformal coating of printed circuits and circuit assemblies is often required for protection against environmental concerns such as moisture, chemicals and damaging vapors. Such coatings also prevent disruption and circuit damage that could be caused by inadvertent shorting between conductors.
IONIC CONTAMINATION TESTING TECHNOLOGY
Advances in Ionic Testing
Since the birth of the PCB, there has been a need to test for residual ionic contamination, which can lead to corrosion and dendrite growth. Whether on bare boards or finished assemblies, contamination can cause current leakage across insulating surfaces — resulting in shorts. This article explains advancements in ionic cleanliness testing, including heated dynamic ionic contamination test systems and their benefits.
Influences on Contamination Testing
The Ionograph was designed to be a simple, fast and accurate means of testing for ionic contamination as compared to the expensive, time consuming, and highly technical alternative of chromatography. However, the accuracy of the instrument is dependent on the condition of the Ion Extract Solution.
Parylene Conformal Coatings for the Oil & Gas Industry
Originally published by Oil & Gas Journal, this concise 30-minute webinar offers viewers an opportunity to learn more about how Parylene coatings are applied, their features, and the value they add to devices and components, including excellent chemical and moisture barrier properties, high dielectric strength per unit thickness, excellent thermal and UV stability, and low coefficient of friction. As materials and applications continue to advance and operating environments become more harsh, Parylene conformal coatings enhance the performance of oil and gas technologies.
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2019
- SCS Parylene Provides Component Protection in ExoMars Mission
- SCS Complies with RoHS and REACH Directives
- SCS to Exhibit at CES® 2020
- SCS to Showcase PrecisionCoat V at IPC APEX EXPO
- SCS Webinars Available On Demand
- SCS Holds Parylene Seminars in Europe
- Fred Kopitzke and Kurtis Olson Celebrate Careers at SCS
- SCS Parylenes Provide IPX7, IPX8 Protection
- SCS Material Application Valves: Engineered for Performance
- SCS Delivers Quality and Compliance for Customer Products
- Parylene and Smart Technology in Agriculture
- SCS Receives Award at SMTA China East
- SCS Develops New Halogen-Free Parylene Coating
- CES 2019 Highlights
- Parylene’s Role in Pain Management Technology
- SCS Names Representative of the Yeare at IPC APEX EXPO
- SCS’ PrecisionCoat Programmable Valve Spacing: Enhancing Productivity and Accuracy
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2018
- Dan Adamo Celebrates 35 Years at SCS
- Parylene Protects Consumer Electronics in Harsh Environments
- SCS Parylene C-UVF® Enables Visual Inspection
- SCS Exhibits at Sensors Midwest and SMTA International
- Wisconsin Lt. Governor Kleefisch Tours SCS’ Clear Lake Facility
- Parylene Safeguards Performance in Emerging Medical Sensors
- SCS PrecisionCoat AQC: A Robust Solution
- SCS Presents at International Conferences
- SCS President and CEO Celebrates 35 Years
- Parylene Protects UAVs in Harsh Environments
- Continuing the Legacy: SCS Omegameter SMD 650
- Parylene and the Future of Autonomous Vehicles
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2017
- Bok and Mattison Celebrate 40 Years at SCS
- Introducing the PrecisionCoat BT
- Parylene Mitigates Metallic Whisker Growth
- Parylene and Emerging Medical Technologies
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2016
- SCS Celebrates Company Milestones In 2016
- SCS Germany GmbH
- Parylene and Diabetes Management – Part 2
- Parylene and the Future of Wearable Technologies
- Parylene is Out of This World
- Clearing the Air on Parylene – Part 3
- Parylene and Diabetes Management
- Exciting News from Specialty Coating Systems
- Clearing the Air on Parylene – Part 2
- Parylene’s Use on External Neurostimulation Devices
- SCS Precisioncoat Tool Changer: Offering Unmatched Flexibility
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2015
- Parylene’s Use on Implanted Neurostimulation Devices
- SCS Webinars Available Online
- Clearing the Air on Parylene
- SCS Offers Educational Parylene Seminars
- SCS Supports Customer Regulatory Submissions
- SCS Redesigns SCS Ionograph® Systems
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2014
- Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia and Endotracheal Tubes
- Get Connected with SCS
- Parylene 101: Physical and Mechanical Properties
- Benefits of Cleaning Before Conformal Coating
- SCS Launches Japanese Website
- Jet Dispensing: Ready for Take-Off
- New Features Enhance Customizable SCS Precisioncoat
- SCS Offers Parylene Seminars in Costa Rica and Germany
- Parylene Coating for Asteroid Explorer HAYABUSA 2
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2013
- SCS Introduces microRESIST™ Antimicrobial Parylene Technology
- SCS Hosts ‘Designing Medical Devices’ Forum in Germany
- The Benefits of Parylene in Pre-filled Syringes
- SCS “RISEs” to Meet Global Challenges
- SCS Completes Ontario Site Expansion
- SCS Announces AS9100C Certification
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2012
- SCS Employees Celebrate 30+ Years
- Happy Holidays From SCS
- SCS Relocates Woking Coating Center
- SCS Enhances Operational Excellence
- SCS Celebrates Ribbon Cutting in Austin
- SCS Announces HEMSA Partnership
- SCS Achieves AS9100 Revision C Certification
- SCS Completes Amherst Site Remodel
- SCS Parylene Coatings Prolong Diesel Engine Life
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2011
- SCS Expands Ontario Coating Center as Growth Continues
- SCS Engineering Team Lays the Foundation
- SCS Parylenes Meet Biocompatibility Standards
- SCS Expands U.S. Parylene Coating Service Operations
- SCS Parylene C-UVF™ Fluoresces Under UV Light
- SCS Introduces New Adhesion Promotion Technology – AdPro Poly®
- SCS Expands Indianapolis Cleanroom
- SCS Precisioncoat Features New Potting Capabilities
- The Future of Electronics
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2010
- SCS Opens New Coating Center in Mainland Europe
- SCS Announces Fall Parylene Seminar Schedule
- Parylene Facilitates Advances in Intraocular Implant Technology
- SCS Offers Spring European Seminars
- SCS Completes Move to New ISO Certification Level
- SCS Introduces the Precision Tri-Cure 2250 at IPC APEX Expo
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2009
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency Commends Parylene Japan
- SCS and Tech Briefs Present Webinar on Conformal Coatings
- New Technologies Emerge with Parylene Structures
- SCS Equipment Manufacturing Achieves ISO Certification
- SCS to Present Webinar on Advances in Conformal Coatings
- SCS Presents at IMAPS/SMTA Vendor’s Day and Expo
- One-Day Parylene Seminars to Be Presented in April
- SCS Receives “Supplier of the Year” Award
- SCS Raises Standard to ISO 9001:2008
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2008
- SCS Enhances Precisioncoat Features
- SCS Offers Parylene Workshops in Germany
- SCS Parylene Protects Hearing Assist Devices
- Berwind Corporation Acquires Specialty Coating Systems
- SCS Singapore Grows Into New Location
- Introducing AdPro Plus™
- Specialty Coating Systems Acquires Parylene Japan K.K.
- SCS Expands Clear Lake Coating Center
- SCS Unveils Precisioncoat RTV at APEX 2008
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2006
- SCS Opens Costa Rica Facility
- SCS Introduces Precisioncoat Spray Coating Systems
- Precision UVC Mates Seamlessly with Precisioncoat Systems
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2005
- SCS Parylene Increases Automotive Component Life
- SCS Parylene HT Stabilizes Insect Samples
- Back to Basics – A Parylene Review
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2004
- SCS Expands into Shanghai, China
- SCS Embraces Six Sigma Culture
- New G3P Spincoat Software Improves Productivity
- SCS Cleanroom Changes the Parylene Coating Paradigm
- SCS Ionograph Test Module Introduced
- Parylene Update – Medical Coating Applications
- New PDS 2035CR Coater Fills Important Niche
- Endometrial Ablation Tool Benefits from Parylene Properties
- Steps to Quality Control in Parylene Operations
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2003
- Parylene Coating Offers Moisture Barrier Potential for LEDs
- SCS Continues International Expansion
- Parylene Hits Prime Time TV
- Ferrite Core Manufacturer Coats with Parylene
- Woking Coating Center Opens
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2002
- SCS Committed to Parylene Technology Advancement
- SCS Offers Contamination Test Services
- Mars Orbital Camera Image Count Passes 100,000
- SCS Parylene Conservation to be Highlighted in Learning Channel Special
- SCS Marks Newsletter’s 12th Year
- Coating Centers are ISO Certified
- Parylene – A Historical Review
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2001
- Ruggedized Computers Protected by Parylene
- Selective Coating Equipment Moved to Speedline CAMALOT
- Repair and Recoating of Parylene-Coated Circuits
- Parylene Protects Satellite Thruster Control Electronics
- SCS Completes New Biocompatibilty Tests
- New Programmable Deposition System
- SCS Selects Business Partner in China
- SCS Quantifies Parylene Sterilization Performance
- Parylene Temperature Performance
- Parylene Benefits Microscopic Machines
- AMC Chooses Parylene for Medical Implant
- SCS Relocating to New Headquarters
GLOBAL COVERAGE 2000
- Union Switch Cuts Coating Costs
- SCS Receives Medtronic Recognition
- Compact Cure System
- Parylene Selected for Alternative Fuel System
- SCS’s Humphrey Explores Anthropology Application
- SCS Coating Center QS Certified
- Selective Coating Improves Bose Production
- SCS Paper to be Presented at St. Petersburg Conference
- Parylene Japan K.K. Celebrates 10 Years
- Tenth Anniversary Issue
- Speedline Offers Integrated Manufacturing Capabilities
- SPIDA Helps Panasonic Refine Processes
GLOBAL COVERAGE 1999
- Titanic Surfaces Again at SCS
- New Thermal Cure Unit Supports Selective Coating
- Tumble Coat Advancement
- Parylene Supports Deep Space Propulsion Test
- Spin Coating Basics – Common Defects
- Increasing Selective Coating Throughput
- Spin Coating Basics
- Parylene Races Ahead!
- Big Dipper/Little Dipper
- Teamwork Drives Fast Production Upgrade
- SCS Coats Two-Sides at NEPCON West
- UV Ovens Cure Textured Films
GLOBAL COVERAGE 1998
- Parylene Supports the International Space Station
- Labcoter®2 Portable Parylene Coating System
- SCS europe Unified With New Name
- Parylene Goes Airborne
- Instruments Group Joins SCS