Parylene, a conformal coating technology, has unique variants and attributes that have solved several device performance and material challenges. Although various coatings have been utilized on medical device surfaces for over 30 years, few of these coatings have addressed issues such as the following:
- Parylene has solved patient allergenic reactions to device materials;
- Parylene has allowed drug/polymer combinations to be applied to metal stents that were otherwise incompatible;
- Parylene has prevented galvanic interaction between dissimilar metals in cerebral vascular coiling procedures;
- Parylene has permitted the use of less expensive but non-biocompatible metals in surgical instruments;
- Parylene has enabled smaller device dimensions and tighter components packaging due to ultra-thin coatings.
These are only a few of the many benefits of SCS Parylene technologies for the medical device industry.